Editing and Producing scene 3

So the next scene I decided to do is scene 3. I had originally planned for this scene to be in a black unknown location however I realised that a lot of my film is going to be in the dark at that point which is difficult to shoot to a decent quality. It also means that I won't have much variation in where the film is shot. Because of this, I decided to shoot scene 3 around the local area. Area itself wasn't important as longs it took place outside and is gave me enough footage on a big enough scale to show  a change in location (as though the dream is shifting and changing) and i was able to create a dream-like environment during shooting.

During editing, I decided to use different colours. I wanted to create a dream-like atmosphere but also have some separation between each segment of the dream so that it is evident that it is a dream whilst also giving the scene the abnormality and stylising to be effective. To do this I used the strobe lighting editing tool which can change the whole set to be a different colour .At first I thought it would make the sets too overdone and would look poor however I think it works well with the non-diegetic audio to convey the feeling of being in a dream. 

I was also able to create a shimmering effect on the puddle when the man sees the Bargainer it in. I did this by using a similar adjustment to the one i used to edit the title- wave warp. Wave warp with a low opacity allows for the image to shimmer like normal but due to the fact that the image is such a low opacity that it can only be seen in the clear parts of the image (i.e. the water), it allows for an effect where it looks like the water is shimmering to create this image. This works pretty well in execution with the dream as it brings the non-diegetic audio to a halt before it speeds up; now that the Bargainer has entered his dreams, he realises he's being controlled by him and tries to run. He then finds himself doing the same pattern again but this time there are no differentiating colours- the control the Bargainer has over him is becoming more of a reality than a dream. The last shot would've been a dip to white however due to how overexposed the shot is, it works really well as a shot to represent the man waking up and works naturally without the use of dipping to white. The use of the non-diegetic audio getting quieter here also helps as it is as though the dream is slipping away- the man is waking up.

A lot of my footage so far has been heavily edited but I liked this effect as it makes the product feel abnormal and odd that, especially in the dream sequence, this feels like false reality. It feels so tampered with that it can't be real which does remove a lot of verisimilitude which usually helps in horror however the surreality here I believe helps to stylise the film and make it feel more experimental than horror.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schizophrenic Love Evaluation

Evaluation of 'The Gunfighter'